Idaho: Idaho Transportation Department, Motor Vehicles Bureau. 208-334-3272.
393.100. General Rules For Protection Against Shifting or Falling Cargo.
- Application and scope of the rules in this section. This section applies to trucks, truck tractors, semi-trailers, full trailers and pole trailers. Each of those motor vehicles must, when transporting cargo, be loaded and equipped to prevent the shifting or falling of cargo in the manner prescribed by the rules in paragraph (b) of this section. In addition, each cargo- carrying motor vehicle must conform to the applicable rules in '393.102, 393.104 and 393.106.
- Basic protection component - each cargo-carrying motor vehicle must be equipped with devices providing protection against shifting or falling cargo that meet the requirements of either paragraph (b) (1), (2), (3) or (4) of this section.
- Option A. The vehicle must have sides, sideboards, or stakes and rear endgate, endboard or stakes. Those devices must be strong enough and high enough to assure that cargo will not shift upon or fall from the vehicle. Those devices must have no aperture large enough to permit cargo in contact with one or more of the devices to pass through it.
- Option B. The vehicle must have at least one tie down assembly that meets the requirements of '393.102 for each 10 linear feet of lading or fraction thereof. (However, a pole trailer, or an expandable trailer transporting metal articles under the special rule in paragraph (c) of this section, is required only to have two or more of those tiedown assemblies at each end of the trailer.) In addition, the vehicle must have as many additional tiedown assemblies meeting the requirements of '393.102 as are necessary to secure all cargo being transported either by direct contact between the cargo and the tiedown assemblies or by dunnage which is in contact with the cargo and is secured by tiedown assemblies.
- Option C (for vehicles transporting metal articles only). A vehicle transporting cargo which consists of metal articles must conform to either the rules in paragraph (b) (1), (2) or (4) of this section or the special rules for transportation of metal articles set forth in paragraph (c) of this section.
- Option D. The vehicle must have other means of protecting against shifting or falling cargo, which is similar to, and at least as effective as, those, specified in paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.
- Special rules for metal articles - (1) Scope of the rules in this paragraph. The rules in this paragraph apply to a motor vehicle transporting cargo consisting of metal articles if that vehicle does not conform to the rules in paragraph (b) (1), (2) or (4) of this section