Kansas: Kansas Highway Patrol, Topeka, KS. 785-296-6800.
8-1906. Securing Loads on Vehicles; Requirements for Hauling Livestock
- No vehicle shall be driven or moved on any highway unless such vehicle is so constructed or loaded as to prevent any of its load from dropping, sifting, leaking or otherwise escaping therefrom, except that:
- This section shall not prohibit the necessary spreading of any substance in highway maintenance or construction operations; and
- Subsections (a) and (c) shall not apply to trailers or semi-trailers when hauling livestock if such trailers or semi-trailers are properly equipped with a cleanout trap and such trap is operated in a closed position unless material is intentionally spilled when the trap is in a closed position. Paragraph (2) shall not apply to trailers or semi-trailers used for hauling livestock when livestock are not being hauled in such trailers or semi-trailers.
- All trailers or semi-trailers used for hauling livestock shall be cleaned out periodically.
- No person shall operate on any highway any vehicle with any load unless such load and any covering thereon is securely fastened so as to prevent the covering of load from becoming loose, detached or in any manner a hazard to other users of the highway.
History: L. 1974, ch 33, &8-1906; L. 1984, ch. 41, & 1; 1989, ch.45, &1; July 1